The Cathedral 1908 by Auguste Rodin (1840-1912). Philadelphia Museum of Art Dated 1910 by Grappe in the 1927 and 1929 editions of the catalogue of the Musee Rodin, The Cathedral had its dating revised to 1908 in subsequent editions when it was discovered that in that year a prospective purchaser intended adapting these hands for a fountain. Rodin also called it The Arch of Alliance on occasion, but it is under the name of The Cathedral that it is now universally known. Constructed from two right hands, the work evidently owes its inspiration to an idea which came to Rodin during his ceaseless experimentation with the grouping of fragments of his major works. It was thus the sight of the work that gave him the idea for the title and not vice versa. Rodin's great passion for Gothic architecture, which started with visits to the French cathedrals and Belgian churches in the 1840's and culminated in the publication Cathedrals of France in 1914, and his sensitivity to the expressiveness of hands are thus united in his work. Our statue replica of his beloved work of the Cathedral Hands is cast in quality bonded stone with a faux bronze finish. This sculpture is a wonderful gift.