The sanctuary's history begins in
1542 when Father Miguel de Bologna, a Spanish priest, brought a statue of the
Virgin of the Immaculate Conception to the village of what is now known as San
Juan de Los Lagos, Jalisco, Mexico. The young daughter of an itinerant acrobat, slipped on some
knives and was mortally wounded.
Her parents brought her body for burial to the chapel of Our Lady of San
Juan. The wife of the custodian of
the Chapel prayed for her life and the child was healed. This began the pilgrimages
to the Patroness San Juan de los Lagos. This sculpture is highly detailed and
hand painted. Made of a durable stone and resin composition this is a high-end
statue that makes a wonderful gift or tribute to the Virgin Mary.